Drama Trope of the Month:
Fake/Contract Marriages/Relationships, why is it so appealing to the drama viewership? Why do we keep lapping it up when dramas bring it up again and again?
I can’t say that I know why everybody else enjoys it but I’d like to discuss/ point out why I do. However, this doesn’t mean that I’ve loved every single one of the examples of dramas that have used this trope. Even though I’m a drama slut, I’m still a picky drama slut.
1) Because it’s silly and fun for us as viewers, though for the characters themselves it can seem quite a torture
2) Because it’s an excuse for closeness and often skinship
3) Because the contract is doomed to fail- They will ALWAYS fall in love going against the contract prerequisites.
4) Because it would never really happen in real life- right?
5) Because it’s endlessly cute to see them avoid the elephant in the room (THEIR FEELINGS)
Shows that have contract marriage/ relationships
Full House; Creating Destiny; MSOAN/MMM; MNIKSS; Dandelion Family; My Girlfriend is a Gumiho; Lie To Me; Golden Bride; Coffee House; Que Sera Sera
and ‘reality’ tv – We Got Married- Sometimes I feel that some of these relationships could have become real if they’d let themselves.
Feel free to share what you think and let’s discuss each other’s opinions